A reclaimed Baptism bonnet has been in the back corner of my mind for several months now (along with a lot of other project ideas!). I was happy to have an excuse to sew one up for the annual Lutheran School Association Auction Fundraiser in Cole Camp, MO.
Because I can’t help myself, this bonnet is layered with different meanings from the types of materials used, to the hand embroidery embellishment, to the quilted lining.
I added a the card below explaining the hidden meanings in the bonnet construction, complete with the Bible verses that inspired each facet. My hope is that this bonnet will serve as a remind of the covering we have in Christ. In Him, we are all new creations.
Project Notes on Reclaimed Baptism Bonnet:
- Linen exterior and ties from upcycled skirt
- Lining from upcycled alb
- Hand embroidery added to the exterior middle panel at the base
- Bonnet bottom edges sewn right sides together, stopping just past the curve
- 1/2″ homemade bias tape (34″ long) used to complete the unfinished edge and create the ties- all one piece
- Future thoughts
- Need to find a sustainable and affordable source for white linen
- Square off the rounded edges of the bonnet before sewing together